Monday, May 11, 2015

Reflections - 5/11/15


Rowhouses in Charles Vilage


As the spring semester comes to a close, I am left with a sense of completion and greater awareness towards not only Baltimore, but also community engagement. In retrospect, I think the most important thing that I have learned is the endless significance of taking all perspectives into account, especially when it regards controversial topics like gentrification. This may not seem to be the most innovative of revelations, but I think that its importance spans to universal levels and can be applied in almost any setting. Personally, I feel like I am stubborn in my own views (maybe it's the aquarian in me), but being both a student of both geography and sociology, I recognize that everything (humans and nature) possesses their own individual qualities that shouldn't be disregarded. This class has helped me see this by gaining greater insight into the world where these voices originated. Conversely, these voices should also be viewed as one giant collective echo that distinguishes the many concerns humanity encounters in the urban realm. 

This course has also emphasized the importance of working together as a team in order to create an interdisciplinary product. I think my greatest contribution to this project would be mitigating our mapmaking process so that each voice or place could be visualized. As a result, we are able to have a dynamic map that could be used as a source for anyone who wishes to know more about Station North. Looking forward, I hope that our efforts will benefit others who wish to know more about Baltimore's past and present through the eyes of a neighborhood.


No comments:

Post a Comment